Chemistry graduates have a very wide variety of careers open to them, including industrial and academic research, finance, manufacturing, science communication and consulting. During your time at university, the Careers Service can help you formulate your plans and support you in thinking ahead to graduation.
An extensive programme of careers events is organised annually, allowing you to explore your options and meet employers. Events listings can be found on MyCareerHub. MyCareerHub is also where summer, semester and graduate jobs are advertised, careers appointments are booked and a wide range of careers resources can be accessed.
Our website also hosts excellent careers resources (toolkits, webinars and information) based around the Career Compass – a framework to navigate:
- Understanding Yourself
- Discovering What’s Out There
- Building Experience
- Becoming Professional
- Making it Happen
Talk to Us
Appointments are available as described here. These are currently through Microsoft Teams and can be booked through MyCareerHub.
- 15 mins Query -12.30-2.30pm every Thursday for Chemistry students only with Susan Bird. Book up to 2 days in advance – ie from Tuesday 8am onwards.
- 30 mins Discussion – any student, any consultant, any day. Book up to 2 days in advance (eg if appointment is Wed 3pm, can book Monday 8am onwards).
- 45 mins Practice Interview –any student, any consultant, any day. Book up to 3 wks in advance. Susan has one slot per week at 3.15 on a Thursday. Email her if this is not convenient.
Note that there are other ways to talk to someone in Careers:
- “Ask a Question” on MyCareerHub (answered within 3 days by Information Team)
- Information Team Drop In Monday to Friday at 1-3pm
- Live Chat - a pop out tab on Careers Service website (staffed by trained students)
Careers Service induction slides: