Dr Ian Sadler
University of Edinburgh
Joseph Black Building
David Brewster Road
- 1964 - 1985 Lecturer, School of Chemistry, Edinburgh University
- 1968 - 2005 Administrator/Supervisor of the School NMR Spectroscopy Facilities
- 1978 - 1989 Administrator/Supervisor of SERC supported UK High Field NMR Service.
- 1985 - 1996 Senior Lecturer, School of Chemistry, Edinburgh University
- 1989 - 1998 Director of the SERC supported UK Centre for Ultra High Field Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy.
- 1996 - 2000 Heavily involved in the design of the Christina Miller Building
- 1998 - 2005 Director of the Edinburgh Centre for High Field Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy
- 1996 - 2005 Reader in Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy, Edinburgh University.
- 1997 - 2005 Chemistry 1 Course Organiser
- 2001 - 2005 Convenor of School Space Management Committee
Earlier research (1964 ??? 1985) concerned the exploration of vapour phase rearrangements of small carbocylic ring compounds. Later (1978 onwards) research moved over to the application of NMR spectroscopy to the structure determination of organic compounds including natural products. This involved collaborations both with staff in the School of Chemistry and with research staff at other universities. Collaboration with Professor Stephen Fry (School of Biology) into the structures of plant cell wall oligosaccharides continues at present.
- An unexpectedly lichenase-stable hexasaccharide from cereal, horsetail and lichen mixed-linkage β-glucans (MLGs): Implications for MLG subunit distribution. T. Simmons, D. Uhrin, T. Gregson, L. Murray, I. H. Sadler, S. C. Fry. Phytochemistry, 2013, 95, 322-332
- Characterisation of oligosaccharides from the chondroitin/dermatan sulphates: (1)H and (13)C NMR studies of oligosaccharides generated by nitrous acid depolymerisation. R. M. Lauder, T. N. Huckerby, I. A. Nieduszynski, I. H. Sadler. Carbohydrate research, 2011, 346, 2222-7.
- 3-O-Methylrhamnose in lower land plant primary cell walls. Z. A. Popper, I. H. Sadler and S. C. Fry. Biochemical Systematics and Ecology, 2004, 32, 279-289.
- Complete Assignment of the 1H and 13C NMR Spectra and Solution Conformation of the Antitumour Antibiotic, Aclacinomycin A. J. A. Parkinson, I. H. Sadler, M. B. Pickup and A. B. Tabor. Tetrahedron, 1995, 51, 7215-7222.
- The Determination by N.M.R. Methods of the Structure and Stereochemistry of Astellatol, a New and Unusual Sesterterpene. I. H. Sadler and T. J. Simpson. Magn. Reson. Chem., 1992, 30, S18-S23.