Professor Dusan Uhrin
The structure elucidation of compounds contained within complex mixtures is a challenging task. We study various complex mixtures such as those fund in the environment, living organisms or food and beverages. Our primary methods are very high field liquid-state NMR spectroscopy and Fourier Transform Ion Cyclotron Resonance Mass Spectrometry (FTICR MS).
Currently we study dissolved organic matter in collaboration with Scottish Water and Scotch whisky in collaboration with the Scotch Whisky Research Institute. We also collaborate with colleagues in biology, agriculture and medicine using metabolomics approaches.
Carbohydrate structures and protein-carbohydrate interactions
Complex, heterogeneous polysaccharides isolated from marine environments represent a considerable challenge for NMR structure elucidation. We develop NMR methods to facilitate this process and study their structures in collaboration with GlycoMar Ltd. We also investigate protein-carbohydrate interactions, the conformation of carbohydrates and develop NMR methods for this field.
New NMR methodology
Using our 400 to 800 MHz NMR spectrometers, many equipped with CryoProbesTM, we develop NMR methods applicable for different branches of chemistry. In particular, we focus on the development of new NMR tools for interrogation of chemical reactions, their mechanisms and kinetics.
- Jones, A.B., Lloyd-Jones, G.C., Uhrín, D, SHARPER reaction monitoring: generation of a narrow line-width NMR singlet, without X-pulses, in an inhomogeneous magnetic field, Anal. Chem. 89 10013–10021 (2017)
- Kew, W., Bell, N.G.A. Goodall, I., Uhrín, D, Advanced solvent signal suppression for the acquisition of 1D and 2D NMR spectra of Scotch Whisky, Magn. Reson. Chem. 55, 785–796, (2017).
- Blackburn, J.W.T., Kew, W., Graham, M.C., Uhrín, D. Laser Desorption/Ionization Coupled to FTICR Mass Spectrometry for Studies of Natural Organic Matter, Anal. Chem., 89, 4382–4386 (2017).
- Kew, W., Blackburn, J.W.T., Clarke, D.J. and Uhrín, D, Interactive van Krevelen diagrams. Advanced visualisation of mass spectrometry data of complex mixtures. Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 31, 658–662 (2017).
- Kew, W., Goodall, I., Clarke, D., Uhrín, D, Chemical diversity and complexity of Scotch whisky as revealed by high-resolution mass spectrometry, J. Am. Soc. Mass. Spectrom. 28, 200-213 (2017).
- Bell, N.G.A., Michalchuk, A.A.L., Blackburn, J.W.T., Graham, M.C. & Uhrín, D. Isotope-filtered 4D NMR spectroscopy for structure determination of humic substances. Angewandte Chemie Int.Ed 54, 8382-8385 (2015).
- Blaum, B.S., Hannan, J.P., Herbert, A.P., Kavanagh, D., Uhrín, D. & Stehle, T. Structural basis for sialic acid-mediated self-recognition by complement factor H. Nat. Chem. Biol. 11, 77-82 (2015).