Excellence in Teaching
- The School of Chemistry has twice been voted the winner in the annual Edinburgh University Students Association (EUSA) Teaching Awards Best Department category.
- All our courses are recognised (BSc) or accredited (MChem) by the Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Our teaching has been rated as excellent by the Scottish Higher Education Funding Council.
- The Salters' Institute Graduate prize has been won by a student from the School of Chemistry for 16 consecutive years, a record unmatched by any other UK Chemistry Department.
- Courses are taught by world-leading scientists and our teaching labs are among the best in the UK.
- If you achieve high enough grades at School, you can enter directly into the second year of your programme, completing your degree in 3 or 4 years rather than 4 or 5 years.
Our Students Say:
"The whole of the chemistry department has filled me with enthusiasm for the subject this year. All the tutorials and lectures are made enjoyable by the people taking them while also being serious in terms of having learning as the priority."
A Supportive School
- One of our academic staff will be designated as your Personal Tutor throughout your time with us. They will take your first year tutorials and will be your first point of contact for any issues - academic or pastoral.
- The School of Chemistry was the first department in Scotland to be given an Athena SWAN Gold award, and currently holds an Athena SWAN Silver award. These accolades acknowledge our advancement of careers for women in Science, Engineering and Technology in higher education and research.
Our Students Say:
"Well-organised institution with a lot of really kind people working there. Creates friendly environment and makes student feel secure about their future at the university."
Expand Your Horizons
- In 2013, the School of Chemistry celebrated its 300th anniversary with a lively calendar of events for students, staff and alumni - a great time to start your studies with us.
- You will be able to study in a research lab on an extended project under the supervision of one of our top-class researchers.
- You can choose to spend a year abroad or in industry.
- We teach you all the chemistry skills you'll need to work in a modern research or industrial environment.
- You'll also learn valuable skills such as teamwork and problem-solving, which will prove useful no matter what career you embark upon after graduation.
Our students have access to some of the best research facilities in the UK
A variety of career paths are open to our graduates.
Edinburgh is one of the most beautiful cities in the world to live in.
It's not all about studying. Edinburgh is home to many sports clubs and societies