Annual deadlines apply, and all applications require the support of a specific potential PhD supervisor. Early application is encouraged in all cases.
For UK and some EU citizens who have a 1st class or an upper 2nd class honours degree (or equivalent) School advertised studentships will cover all fees and generally provide a stipend in line with the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council's current recommended level. International students from areas outside the EU pay fees at a higher level than home students.
For current information regarding tuition fees please see the Scholarships and Student Funding website. The University Scholarships and Student Finance Office also provides comprehensive information and a search facility on funding opportunities.
Scholarships and Bursaries
Scholarships and bursaries available to Doctorate students in the School of Chemistry include:
Open to all Applicants (some restrictions may still apply - please check the individual funding page for details)
Open to Non-EU Applicants
- Edinburgh Global Research Scholarships
- China Scholarships Council / University of Edinburgh Scholarships
- University of Edinburgh Southern African Scholarships - limited to citizens of certain countries in southern Africa
- Beit Trust Scholarships - for Malawi, Zambia or Zimbabwe nationals
- Fulbright Commission Scholarships - for US citizens
- Marshal Scholarships - for US citizens
- Inlaks Foundation Scholarships - for Indian citizens
- Commonwealth Scholarships - for British Commonwealth citizens
- The British Council - for certain British Commonwealth citizens
- British Chevening Scholarships - for ctiziens of 118 countries (excluding the USA and EU)
- Canadian Centennial Scholarship Fund
- Edinburgh UK/EU Master's Scholarships
- Edinburgh Global Master's Scholarships
- Scotland 's Saltire Scholarships
- University of Edinburgh Southern African Scholarships
- Chemistry Tercentenary International Masters Scholarships
There are many other awards available through other funders both in the UK and in your home country.
The University of Edinburgh is eligible to certify loan applications for students from:
Tuition Fee Discount Scheme
The University of Edinburgh offers a 10% discount in postgraduate tuition fees for all alumni who have graduated with an undergraduate degree from the University of Edinburgh and for all students who have previously matriculated on a "Visiting Programme" as a non-graduating undergraduate student and completed a minimum of one semester of study at the University of Edinburgh (conditions apply)
The Tuition Fee Discount Scheme applies to both home and international students, and applies to the self-funding element of the postgraduate tuition fee.