Chemistry's facilities and capabilities, coupled to the School's depth of knowledge, are available to industrial clients. Typical services include:
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance - for structural determination and identification, typically of organic materials. The School's NMR facility is the best in Scotland and is one of the leading facilities in the UK. The extensive range of equipment includes a high field 800MHz instrument with a cryogenic probe, with its extremely high sensitivity suitable for limited sample amounts.
- Mass Spectrometry - for identification of substances, including protein determination and inorganic mass spectroscopy. Edinburgh's Mass spectrometry facilities are both extensive and state of the art. The facilities are available for both routine analysis and detailed and complex investigations.
- X-ray Crystal Diffraction - for definitive sample identification and in-depth structural analysis. The School has both single crystal and powder diffraction techniques and offers a complete XRD service to our industrial clients, through the provision of dedicated analysis, interpretation and consultancy services.
- Atomic Spectroscopy - for elemental analysis of materials. Edinburgh offers a complete service for the analysis of elemental composition, using ICP and including ICP-MS for ultra trace samples.
Other specialist services are available from the School including:
- X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy
- Polymorph Screening
- High Throughput screening services
- Raman spectroscopy
- Micro- and Nano- Surface Analysis: Micro-Raman/IR spectrometer and Scanning Probe Microscope
- Fluorescence lifetime spectroscopy and imaging
- Biomass fermentation, oligonucleotides synthesis, gene cloning
Please contact Stuart Duncan for a preliminary assessment of your requirements.