- SQUID magnetometer (1.8-800 K, 0-7 Tesla Physical Properties Measurement Systems (QD MPMS-XL) with electro-transport, DC and AC susceptibility measurements, vibrating sample magnetometer, heat capacity, He3 low-temperature options and other low-temperature transport measurement equipment. The laboratory also has
- PPMS Magnetic Property Measurement System (QD PPMS-7) based on 9 Tesla cryomagnet and a Closed Cycle Refrigerator system, T=0.35-400K capable of variety of measurements, e.g. electrical resistivity, heat capacity, ac susceptibility, Hall effect.
- custom-built high-pressure cells of piston-cylinder and opposed anvil type for both of these instruments with the pressure limit of approximately 40 GPa.
Metal Analysis and Detection
- ICP-OES for trace analysis of metal elements (0.0002-1000ppm) and a limited number of non-metallic elements (e.g. S, P). Perkin Elmer Optima 5300 DV ICP-OES.
- ICP-MS for isotope ratio studies and ultra trace analysis of metal elements (0.0005-100ppb), and a limited number of non-metallic elements (e.g. S, P). Agilent 7500ce ICP-MS.
- LC-ICP-MS is suitable for speciated metal analysis and compounds with metals bound that are separable by LC techniques. Agilent 1200 series HPLC with MS hook-up.
For more information contact Dr Lorna Eades
- Confocal, Spectral Imaging and Photophysics Laboratories: Diode-pumped solid state (DPSS) lasers coupled with ultrafast mode-locked Ti:Sapphire lasers for femtosecond and picosecond applications. Tuning across the ultraviolet to near infrared range by second and third harmonic generation and Optical Parametric Oscillator units. Several upright and inverted microscopes:
- Confocal imaging.
- Multi-photon imaging.
- Fast confocal imaging and simultaneous rheology.
- Single molecule imaging.
- Fluoresence lifetime spectroscopy and microscopies (FLIM).
- Fluoresence resonance energy transfer imaging (FRET).
- Time-resolved spectroscopy.
- Instrument Development Laboratories: Several open-plan microscopes providing convenient optical access specifically for short-lead time testing of ideas and pre-commercial systems:
- novel laser tweezer systems.
- fluorescence correlation microscopy.
- optical spectroscopy under extreme conditions.
- optical microscopy under shear.
- Tweezers: Several different optical tweezers systems including.
- user-friendly 'turn-key' system on a commercial microscope.
- research and development systems on open-bench microscopes.
- Modelling and Visualisation Facility (MVF): A dedicated computational infrastructure for COSMIC (dual-processor graphics workstations (Dell) and a 16-node parallel supercomputer) to study complex molecular systems at an atomistic, nano- and meso-scale level, to support coordinated research in key technical focus areas.
- Based at Edinburgh: amplified 100 fs Ti:Saph laser (3mJ) with SHBC and tunable fs and ps NOPAs
Based at St Andrews
- UHV X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS)
- STM Omicron UHV Scanning Tunnelling Microscope. Four Molecular Imaging STM instruments, all of which work in ambient and electrochemical environments and are also capable of Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM)
- UHV Nicolet FTIR with polarisation modulation (PM) and ATR attachment. An additional Digilab PM-FTIR system with facilities for sample analysis at the liquid-solid interface/electrochemical environments
- SFG/SHG Laser system for Sum Frequency Generation/Second Harmonic Generation
- HREELS Two UHV High Resolution Electron Energy Loss Spectroscopy systems
- UHV LEED/AES/TPD/high pressure cell + Gas chromatograph
- Tensiometer for contact angle measurements
Based at Edinburgh
- AFM Veeco Nanoman VS with Dimension 3100 controller
Thermal Analysis and Porosimetry
- Differential Scanning Calorimetry - Netzsch DSC 204 Instrument: Range -150 to 400C; high sensitivity.
- Perkin-Elmer DSC7: -110 to 440C
- Thermogravimetric Analysis - Netzsch STA 449C with Mass Spec: TGA/DSC or TGA/DTA under oxidising or reducing atmosphere to 1600C, coupled to a Pfeiffer mass spectrometer (200amu) for evolved gas analysis.
- TA Instruments SDT 2960: TGA/DTA under oxidising atmosphere to 1250C.
- Rheometrics TG 1000M: TGA under oxidising or reducing atmosphere, water cooled furnace allows rapid heating/cooling, can be run under wet atmosphere.
- Thermal Expansion - Netzsch Dilatometer DIL402C: Oxidising or reducing atmosphere to 1550C.
- Porosimetry - Hiden IGA porosimeter: Gas and vapour adsorption, BET analysis.