A service providing 11 networked KTA liquid chromatography units, of various configurations and levels of automation, an extensive core column and chromatography resin library, HT robotic cloning and screening facilities, growth/incubation areas, a tissue culture suite and a set of core wet labs with access to automated cell lysis, centrifugation, and analysis instrumentation.
Biophysical Characterisation Facility
For more information please contact Dr John White,
High Pressure Facilities
In the Centre for Science at Extreme Conditions:
- high pressure single crystal X-ray diffraction (up to 10 GPa (ca 100,000 times atmospheric).
- Diamond anvil cells containment for high pressure, single crystal work for Xray and neutron studies.
- CuBe contained, variable, high pressure SQUID measurements (to 10 Gbar).
Syntheses of Inorganic and Organometallic Complexes
- Individual, dedicated wide (1.5m) fume-hoods with high-vacuum Schlenk equipment (sub 1 ppm O2/H2O).
- Full capabilities for organic synthesis at up to 0.5 kg scales.
- Wide range of glassware for manipulation of complexes and for variable temperature reactions. Capabilities for sample sealing under variety of gases or low pressures.
- Solvent drying towers for synthetic chemistry.
- Glove-boxes for sample preparation and manipulation in inert atmosphere (scrubbed, high-purity N2 atmosphere, sub 1 ppm O2/H2O).
- High vacuum sublimation line (10-6 mbar, 400 C).
- High vacuum, greaseless gas transfer reaction line, and equipment for a variety of gas reactions at different temperatures and pressures.
- Box furnaces to 1000 C.
- Microwave reactors in various configurations, including CEM Discover microwave reactor.
- Cells and ovens for high pressure and hydrothermal synthesis.